Responsible gambling means being able to exercise control over your gambling activity and not let it negatively impact other areas of your life.
People gamble for many reasons. Some people gamble for excitement, the thrill of winning or to be social.
From two-up on Anzac Day to an annual plunge on the Melbourne Cup, most Australians are able to enjoy a flutter without losing control. This is responsible gambling.
Responsible gambling is when you:
- Are in control of how much time and money you are spending
- See gambling as a form of entertainment
- Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose
- Know and accept the odds
- Keep sight of your chances of winning
However, gambling is becoming far more widespread and difficult to avoid. We can now play the pokies on our smartphones, and we are subject to sports betting advertising throughout our sports broadcasts.
This makes it easier for Australians to gamble, and harder for some Australians to say no. This can make it harder to gamble responsibly.
Tips for responsible gambling
- Think of gambling as entertainment, not a way to make money
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose
- Set a spending limit in advance
- Set a time limit in advance
- Take a break
- Don’t gamble when you’re depressed or upset
- Balance gambling with other activities
- Never chase your losses
- Don’t take your ATM card with you
- Don’t drink or use drugs when gambling
The Responsible Gambling Guide
The Responsible Gambling Guide is based on some of the latest research into gambling and is intended as a community resource.
It provides information about the impact of gambling in our community with the aim of promoting discussion and greater understanding of the issues surrounding gambling, including:
- Information on the changing gambling environment and some of the main types of gambling associated with problem gambling
- Tips for responsible gambling
- Information to help parents discuss gambling with their teenagers is included along with information about the impact of social media gambling apps
Download The Responsible Gambling Guide from the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation [PDF format, 7MB]
Contact the helpline for confidential advice
If you are worried that you are not gambling responsibly, please consider contacting the Helpline on 1800 858 858 for some confidential advice.