The impact of gambling
Depending on your situation, gambling will probably impact your life in different ways. But we do see some common experiences as a result of people’s gambling.
Some early signs that your gambling is impacting on you could include:
- Increasing levels of debt
- Struggling to pay bills on time
- Lying to friends and family
- Feeling moody, irritable or angry
- Inability to pay for small luxuries
- Missing work or having trouble concentrating at work
- Prioritising spending time and money on gambling over other activities.
If you are experiencing some of these signs you might like to chat with a counsellor, to start a session just sign up today and we can get started!
As gambling problems progress, we know that there will be a greater impact and the harm caused can be more serious.
Some signs that your gambling has become more serious include:
- Financial harm – inability to pay for essentials
- Criminal activity – stealing or fraud
- Declining mental health – depression, anxiety or suicidal thoughts
- Declining physical health
- Relationship disruption, conflict or breakdown
- Cultural harm – disengaging from cultural activities
- Reduced performance at work or study.
If you identify with any of these, we have a range of free and confidential services available to help you.
Our services include: