ACT Gambling Support Service
The ACT Gambling Support Service is a free and confidential counselling and outreach service for people experiencing harm as a result of their or some else’s gambling.
Help in languages other than English
If English is not your first language, support is available for culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS)
If you want the free, confidential advice and support provided by ACT Gambling Support Service but want talk to someone in your first language, you can still get the help you need:
- Call Translation and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.
- Ask to talk to ACT Gambling Support Service on 1800 858 858 in your language.
- TIS will call ACT Gambling Support Service for you.
Calls to TIS cost the same as local calls from landlines. Additional charges apply for mobiles.
What kind of support are you looking for?
Speaking to a gambling counsellor is another way for you to get support whether you are concerned about your gambling or another’s.
People can have many reasons to talk to a gambling counsellor:
- to feel better, happier, healthier.
- to explore and manage urges.
- to look at what is important in their lives and reassess their priorities.
- to improve or repair a relationship.
ACT Gambling Support Service offers support for people to figure out their goals and ways to achieve them. They provide a range of helpful resources and information, including face-to-face counselling, telephone counselling, online support, self-help workbooks and education material, support groups, self-exclusion and external referrals.
Self-exclusion provides a way for individuals experiencing gambling harm to exclude themselves from gambling at one or more nominated gambling venues in the ACT. These gambling venues include clubs, hotels, taverns, the casino, and TABCORP ACT outlets.
A person can request assistance from a gambling venue (through a Gambling Contact Officer), the ACT’s Gambling Support Service or obtain a self-exclusion Deed and lodge it directly with the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission (the Commission).
You can obtain further information by contacting the Commission:
- Email: ExclusionSupport@act.gov.au
- Phone: (02) 6207 0359 (Option3)
BetStop – the National Self-Exclusion Register™
BetStop – the National Self-Exclusion Register is a free national service to exclude yourself from all Australian-licensed online and phone wagering services in a single step. Find out more about BetStop - the National Self-Exclusion Register or contact the ACT Gambling Support Service if you’d like our assistance to register.
ACT Gambling Support Service works in partnership with Care Financial Counselling Service to help people in financial stress, offering counselling and information about financial matters.
Care Financial Counselling Services can:
- Provide information about your options, so you can explore and decide what you would like to do about debts or bills. It is always your choice.
- Help you explore your priorities and goals, so you know what outcome you are hoping for.
- Offer information and financial tips, including how to protect assets.
- Assist you with an income and expenses sheet and a creditors list to comprehend and assist with the financial situation. They may negotiate with creditors directly or support you to do this yourself.
- Work with adults or couples to establish effective systems that support healthy relationships.
- Refer you to specialist services if needed, such as legal advice.
Learn more about Care Financial Counselling Service resources or call on 1800 007 007.
Sometimes speaking with a person who has ‘been there done that’ can be helpful for your own recovery, especially when it’s difficult to talk to others about it. Peer Support options are available at ACT Gambling Support.